Thursday, May 3, 2012

Herbie y su familia
















I have to tell you about Herbie, he and his wife Sadie they are cardinals.

You know the beautifully red colored bird.

If you've read my blg I've written about this couple before.

Herbie courted his future wife by feeding her seeds.

Soon they were a couple and they began singing to each other.

Herbie did this for many weeks.

Collecting seeds and bringing it to her while she sat regally on the fence

waiting for him to feed her beak-to-beak.

Herbie and Sadie tend to sing in loud, clear whistles from the top of one tree.

The males tend to defend their territory.

I've read this but have never seen him do it.

They sings pretty loud back and forth, and I've read you can distinguish

their sex by their singing.

I often wondered what the heck they were saying to one another.

Still I just sit back and enjoy the music.

Our Herbie and Sadie eat mainly seeds, grains and annoyingly

some of the peaches.

I read that they also eats beetles, cicadas, grasshoppers, snails,

and bark of elm trees.

Last night I saw a youngish looking bird in one of the fig trees.

How it got there I'll never know. There it teetered and I thought for sure

that poor fellow was done for.

"He'll surely fall off the limb and die," I said to myself.

But then suddenly Herbie showed up and began feeding it.

Regurgitating something and feeding the little feller.

In all my years I have never seen a baby cardinal.

But after reading more about them I found out that I have seen their nests.

A few months ago I took a peek in one of her nests; her eggs were white,

with a tint of blue and were marked with brown blotches.

The shell to the three little eggs were smooth and slightly glossy.

They lay about three to four in each clutch.

This little feller looked a bit prehistoric, only slightly plump with downy feathers.

I read that the father or Papa Cardinal will feed their young for several weeks.

Ole Herbie, will help produce two to three, and even four, broods each year.

He'll be a full time Mommy, as the male cares for and feeds each brood

while the female incubates the next clutch of eggs.

Sure hope that they find that little feller a more secure place to live

while he gets bigger.

Make it a great día!