Monday, April 30, 2012

My top 25..


















I was over at a neighbor 's, Richard wanted me to help him translate a letter

that he and his wife had received.

The couple are sponsoring a young girl, just ten year old that lives in Guatemala.

They also have two children of their own.

The 8-year old was writing down a list of all the things that she planned

on doing this summer.

She then walked up to me and began reciting it, "Mr. Tomás she said politely,

This is my list of all the things I want to do... I want to go to the zoo,

I want to go to the park and eat a big strawberry flavored

snow cone, and ride the swings, go on a trip to the beach,

and spend more time watching all of the Saturday morning cartoons.

It was a great list, I quickly thought, "I wouldn't mind doing all those things myself."

Maybe we all get a bit distracted and quit noticing or appreciate

some of the simple things that we can do.

But there is so much more to love about life and realistically

most of them don’t cost us a nickle.

So I asked myself, “What do I love about life that doesn't cost me anythign to enjoy?”

Here is my list…

1. The wonder of Love.

2. Mí famila and especially our little Bryn.

3. Just being able to wake up to the sounds of birds before dawn.

4. Appreciating what I already have instead of wishing I had more.

5. My ability to empathize.

6. The funny and loyal things my Parker does. Even though he lives in

the moment, he is always so excited and happy to see me.

7. How by his actions he reminds me to do the same.

8. What we say and do matters.

9. Being grateful for those that have never given up on me.

10. Affecting people as positively as I can, without them realizing it.

11. No matter how bad things get, there is always something

beautiful to keep me headed forward.

12. Hope.

13. Enjoying all the unexpected things.

14. Realizing that every moment in life is a chance for a new beginning.

15. Trying out new things.

16. Second chances.

17. Pain relief - even if it is just paid out in small tokens.

18. Knowing that everyday is another chance to get it right.

19. My colleagues, my leadership and my friends.

20. A good night’s sleep!

21. Quiet time, tranquility and being at peace.

22. Big and little smiles accompanied by huge laughter.

23. Acknowledging  that there truly are many paths to happiness.

24. How nothing is permanent.

25. That I can change what I don’t like.

Most of all I appreciate and am grateful for the small moments of enlightenment

that show me the path towards being a more fulfilled,

and compassionate human being.

I know I missed a lot more things I'd like to share - the list was fun to write

and think about.

Take time and write yours..

Make it a great week and a great día!