Sunday, April 22, 2012

A letter to ME.









I was thinking about what it takes to get things done.

One one side of the scale is sheer determination, at the other courage…

but what about in between.

What gets you up and going in the morning?

I am not talking about a latte.

What is it that makes you get out of bed and earn a day's pay?

It could be many things, but what has helped me succeed in life 

has been integrity, personal will, and keeping my word.

I always have my newly hired folks write a letter to themselves.

In it I want them to write out the "why's" of their coming to work.

The agreement is between the individual and themselves.

What?

Yes, I have them write a letter that I wil never read.

In it I want them to write down why they come to work, what goals and future

they want to create for themselves.

It may be small, it could be life changing.. what matters most to them is what

I want them to write about.

It is an agreement that they will hold themselves accountable throughout

the next twelve months - one entire year.

I have them share it with someone they love or respect and then seal it

up in an envelope I also provide.

In exactly one year I will mail it back to them.

My folks have already begun to receive theirs and we have had many 

great conversations over them.

Write your letter and then put it away for an entire year.

Next year at this time see if you kept all or most of your own promises.

What a great feeling that will be openning your letter next year,

and finding that you accomplished all the things that you promised

yourself you would try and do.

Make it a great día!