Sunday, January 22, 2012

The rent we all need to pay.



















It's Sunday evening and I apologize for the late post.

I am still moving slower than I'd like.

I just got off the phone with one of my military nephews.

As you know I have three - two serving in the US Army and a niece in the US Marines.

Cristofer has always made it a point to stay in touch, no matter what part

of the world he finds himself in.

We were speaking about how grateful we both were that hopefully he will never

set foot on Iraqi soil again.

He has after all been there and done that three times.

But our conversation turned to sports and boxing, we both love boxing and soccer.

We also follow Saul "El Canelo" (cinnamon) Alvarez from Jalisco, Mexico.

He is a mopped haired, red headed upcoming and may I add very promising boxer. 

He is the light middle weight division champion of the world, and at 21 has

a very successful career ahead.

You need to watch this kid in action.

But than for some reason Ali was brought up.

You know the greatest fighter of all time, the "I float like a butterfly; I sting like a bee.

Nobody wants to mess with me because I am Muhammad Ali."

We spoke about how even though he refused to go to Vietnam,

(Ali showed up and also suffered the consequences of having refused to be drafted),

we agreed that he had done much more after being forced to retire.

If you remember he was stricken with Parkinson's, but that never slowed him down.

He has touched more lives and done more than he ever dreamed that he would

have during his exciting boxing career.

His foundation The Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center (MAPC),

and Movement Disorders Clinic is a National Parkinson Foundation

Center of Excellence.

It was set up specifically to benefit people with Parkinson's and their families.

But Ali has been involved in fighting hunger and responsible for having served

over 232 million meals worldwide, he has worked on other charitable

sustentation drives; including raising money for AIDS, homelessness,

fighting for human Rights, and improving adult literacy.

I have always admired him, I know him for having once said,

"Service to others is the rent we pay for our room here on earth."

What are we waiting for?

Make it a día of service to another!