Saturday, January 28, 2012

Grateful for "mimis."













I am more grateful today for last night's "mimis."

That was I word we used to say to our son when he was a baby.

I finally got a good night's rest last night.

I haven't had too manyy great sleep filled ones since our accident.

But last night's was the best one since the 11th.

As you know lack of sleep ends up not only physiologically effecting us,

but it negatively impacts 100% of the rest of our lives.

Research shows that in the short term our lack of restful sleep affects not only

our judgment, our mood, the ability to learn and retain information,

but can also increase the risks of having an accident,

especially if you commute to work like a lot of us do.

They also say that in the case of the chronically sleep deprived,

it can lead to a whole different set of health problems including your

increased probability for obesity, diabetes, depression, heart desease,

and other cardiovascular issues like high blood pressure,

but it can even kill you.

How much sleep do you need?

Experts estimate that preschoolers (3 to 5 years-old) need between 11-13

hours of sleep, while school-aged children up to age 12 need approximately

10-11 hours of sleep.

Our adolescents still need the most of at least nine hours every night.  

The rest of us adults need between 7 to 9 hours.

I am finding out that I have been in sleep debt mode for a long time.

So tonight I am headed to bed earlier.

Make it a great día - I already started mine on a more restful tone.