Monday, December 26, 2011

Homemade albondiga soup.















The holidays are when I most miss my Viejita.

She was my best friend and condidant.

ChristmasEve, Christmas and Epiphany were all

celebrations that we both loved to celebrate together. 

My favorite dish is sopa de albondigas or Mexican meatball soup.

She made the best caldos but her sopa de albondigas was the best

I've ever tasted. 

I went to the nearest Michocana on Christmas day, I needed more tostadas.

I ran into the grey haired lady, Donna Laurita that runs the meat department,

and I told her my story of missing my loved ones and of my favorite

dish the albondigas.

She smiled and said, they were my son's favorite.

He had been in an construction accident in New York City in the 80's,

and last year had gotten pneumonia. 

He smoked alot she said and he never recovered.

She than said, "I bet I still remember how to make them."

We laughed about it but I offered to pay her for the ingredients plus $20.00.

She laughed and said if I make them once a week I could become a part timer. 

Donna Laurita took my number and address and said she would call me if she

got inspired, and tried to attempt making them.

This morning I had to go into the office for a couple of hours and when I

returned I found that Dona Laurita had come bye. 

She had left a huge casserole dish with my sopa de albondigas.

She also had hand written the entire recipe in her over sized trembling cursive.

What a great gift!

What an amazingly delicious surprise!    

 SOPA DE ALBÓNDIGAS
2 pounds ground beef
2 eggs
½ cup long grain rice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

1 chiltepin (hot red pepper)
½ cup finely minced onions
3 stalks celery, chopped
6 carrots, chopped
5 potatoes, cubed
1 (9 ounce) can tomato sauce
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Lime wedges


Add hot homemade corn tortillas, or french style Bolillos

Mix ground beef with the eggs, rice, some cumin and garlic.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Shape meat mixture into 1-½ inch meatballs.

Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.

Gently place the meatballs into the boiling water.

Add the onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and tomato sauce.

Cover and reduce heat to low boil for about 1 hour until vegetables

are soft and rice in meatballs is tender.

Serve hot garnished with some cilantro, and a wedge of lime.

Heat up some corn tortillas or some bolillos.

 Make it a great dia and if you can, try this recipe!