Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Freedom to be...



















I hope you had nice 4th of July.

I grilled hot dogs and brats for about 65 colleagues. 

Continuing with yesterday's blog, I came across a Time Magazine poll

that stated that 40% of Americans admitted to an incomplete

understanding of our Constitution.

Americans may not be able to name all the articles of the Constitution,

but we’ve all been taught its ethic all of our lives.

Martin Luther King spoke of how our constitution called upon us,

to live out the legacy of our founding documents.

Today it is just as important as it was then… to continue to expand

the concept that "all men are created equal."

A declaration of rights that allows us to speak up and debate our

views openly and without fear of retribution.

It allows for passionate debate over many sensitive issues like;

whether a woman has a right to abortion or not,

or whether children born to illegal immigrants have a right to automatic citizenship, 

lately whether same-sex couples should be allowed to marry,

and even whether a mosque could be built near ground zero.

I also believe in providence, and am grateful that God

has providentially blessed the United States of America.

My military experience also taught me that to whom much is given, much is required.

As a nation we have a responsibility to protect and free the oppressed,

no matter where we find them.

I am as much for nation building as I am for deposing tyrants

that would just as soon kill their citizens, than help feed them.

America will forever have a special role to play in the world.

Moreover, we are not just a country with national interests.

It is a cause, and our cause is freedom.

Freedoms that have always spoken loudly to tolerance.

It's principles of equality, life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness championed

clearly and succinctly in our Declaration of Independence.

Maybe that is why millions yearn to come to our shores.

In fact the United States accepts more legal immigrants

every year than all other countries combined.

Over 2 and a half million people have been naturalized as US citizens,

mainly emigrating from Mexico, India and China since 2008.

I still get teary eyed when I think about my homeland,

and the loved ones we have lost over the past year,

a direct result of the violence and mayhem caused by the almost

four year long drug cartel war.

But, the moment I look up as I drive towards the port of entry

and see the majestic US flag waving proudly in El Paso, Texas..

my heart says, “There's home! I am almost home.”

I am proud to be an American!

Make it a great dia!