Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sí se puede!



















The words "Sí se puede!" mean Yes it can be done.

Great motto and attitude that President Obama started during his Presidential campaign.

I also have one, its "Never say I can't, say I'll try."

I can't take credit for it though, because those are the exact words my old music teacher Roberto Hernandez, used to tell us at each band practice session.

Seven simple words that have made a huge difference throughout my lifetime.

That and four other words that my Mother inspired in all of her children, "I can do that."

These eleven words have been the motivating words seared into my mind and have been the difference between my being successful or a failure.

Living by "Never say I can't, say I'll try" and "I can do that," I have gone out and done it!

The pessimist tends to use a number of opposite sounding phrases, all of which say the same thing… "I can't" or "I can't do that."

Another one I have heard is, "That's the way we've always done it."

This powerful little phrase can cause activities to come to a screeching halt.

If you analyze this phrase you will see that it's just "I can't do that," in disguise.

Negative words that have been cached to make it sound like that person somehow respects history.

What about, the "That's not my job."" or "That's not in my job description?"

I bet you've heard this one from the employee who spends his entire day looking at their watch.

That employee will be watching the clock from that same desk until he or she retires.

To change dynamics, you want to be the type of manager that motivates their employees.

A part of the type of company that always promotes people who contribute more than they're paid for.

One that rewards their employees who are dependable, responsible, and exceed their job expectations. 

One that always keeps learning and delivers personal commitment and value.

I have also heard, "We've already tried that, and it didn't work."

Maybe my idea at the time wasn’t a very good one -- but it's more likely that the person who said it was a "nay-sayer."

Just because an idea was tried months ago doesn't mean that it won't work now.

Of course, it doesn't mean that it is sure to work either, but unless they've got a road map of the future, you might as well give it a shot.

Things and people change, and if the idea is a bad one, it'll soon become apparent.

The truth is most of the reasons why things "don't work" is because of people themselves.

If as a manager you can't get people to commit to making something work, it'll never, ever work.

I always work to surround myself with employees who are "can do" types.

I believe that the "can't do" folks will eliminate themselves.

I believe that a company succeeds to the extent that the number of optimists outweigh the number of pessimists in your midst.

Its not hard being a "can do" type of person, it is largely a matter of deciding you can do it.

Today I choose to decide if I "can do" or "can't do."

I also choose whether I will be the optimist or the pessimist.

The strong contributor or that annoying detractor.

The determined leader or the crusty weighed anchor.

I choose to be a "can do" kind of person.

I've never said, I couldn't… but I have always said I'll try.

Because I can!

Make it a great día!