Friday, December 10, 2010

It isn’t what you do, it’s how you do it.




















I read a great article on John Wooden, you know the famous UCLA basketball coach.

He often told his players, “It isn’t what you do, but how you do it.”

He also said, “If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”

My favorite is, “Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.”

John Wooden coached the basketball for 40 years. 

He had a 885-203 overall career win-loss record (a percentage of .813) which to this day remains unequaled.

A large part of that success was while he was the head basketball coach at UCLA.

In 27 years as their coach, his basketball teams won a total of 620 times and only had 147 losses.

He was an amazing coach but moreover an amazing man, who had the opportunity to impact lives and he did it.

I read that he often made decisions that were unpopular with those he led, but were true to the principals he lived by.

What I loved most about reading about this man is that he didn’t just say stuff, he lived it.

He is definitely the type of man I have always tried to be.

I love “coaching” the people that work for me, as well as those I mentor in my life, and everyone that works alongside me at my workplace.

I have never just talked to them about what I thought was important, I walk the talk.

When I hear the word “work” I don’t just remember my Mother or Father making us work but rather that they showed us how!

I remember their advice about a good attitude being the first tool in our toolbox to reach for.

About how a positive attitude affects the outcome almost as much as the skill we bring to the situation.

I want those I manage to always strive for success, but to remember that victory comes in the striving as much as it does the achieving.

"Never say I can't, say I'll try!" my old music director Roberto Hernandez would tell me.

When we don’t try, we lose every time.

Its easy to teach these lessons and they will be beneficial to our children or subordinates in life.

But can you imagine if we were to model the lessons each and every day in the way we lived?

John Wooden impacted many people – not just those who played for him – by speaking truth, yes, but even more by putting his words into action.

We all have our own circle of influence.

The size of the circle doesn’t matter, what matters is that we are speaking words of life and truth, and modeling a strong ethical character by living it out in our lives.

Coach Wooden also said, “It isn’t what you do, it’s how you do it."

Make it a great dia!